Owners of brick-and-mortar stores know all ADA-compliance. From wheelchair ramps, to automatic doors and wider bathrooms, it’s an important consideration for any business owner to make sure they can accommodate all customers, including those with a disability. But how does this apply to your online store or website where you provide information about your goods or services?
As a website owner, you may be wondering whether it is necessary to make your website ADA-compliant. The short answer is yes. It is highly recommended that you make your website accessible to people with disabilities, and we will take this space to explore the reasons why your website should be ADA-compliant, the benefits it can bring to your business, and how Venture Rich can help!
What does ADA compliance mean?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal law that prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all places that are open to the public. In 2010, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) released new guidelines for ADA compliance that include website accessibility rules as well.
Website accessibility means that people with disabilities are able to use and navigate your website as easily as someone without disabilities. This means that you have to make sure your website is easily accessible to people with visual impairments, hearing impairments, cognitive impairments, mobility impairments, and other disabilities. It may sound overwhelming, but remember, Venture Rich is here to make it easy for you.
Why should I make sure my site is ADA compliant?
- Avoid crippling lawsuits! One of the primary reasons to make your website ADA-compliant is to avoid legal issues. Non-compliance with the ADA can result in lawsuits, fines, and damage to your reputation. The DOJ has been increasing its enforcement of website accessibility laws in recent years, and many businesses have faced legal action for failing to comply. In fact, the number of website accessibility lawsuits has increased by over 177% since 2017.
- Expand your customer base! Another reason to make your website ADA-compliant is to reach a wider audience. People with disabilities make up a more significant portion of the population than you may realize. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in four U.S. adults has a disability. This means that if your website is not accessible, you are potentially excluding a quarter of your potential customers.
- Improve the visitor experience! Making your website ADA-compliant can also improve the user experience for all visitors, not just those with disabilities. Accessibility features such as alt tags, captions, and transcripts make your website more user-friendly, especially for mobile users and those with slow internet connections. By making your website more accessible, you can improve your website’s overall user experience and increase engagement.
- Improve your search engine rankings! Making your website ADA-compliant can also boost your SEO. Search engines like Google prioritize websites that are accessible and user-friendly. Making your site ADA-compliant has an indirect result of being rewarded by Google with a higher ranking, giving you increased visibility and traffic.
- Socially conscious businesses do better! Making your website ADA-compliant is also a demonstration of your corporate social responsibility. By ensuring that your website is accessible to people with disabilities, you are showing that your business values inclusion and diversity. Studies have shown that this bolsters corporate reputations and results in higher sales and orders.
- Future-proof your site! Accessibility guidelines are only going to become more stringent as technology evolves. Making your site ADA compliant today means less work in the future. Your website will remain accessible in the future without the need for any major updates or a redesign.
How do I make my site ADA compliant?
This is the easy part. If you’re ready to make sure that your site is ADA compliant and protected from lawsuits and fines, there’s only one step:
- Contact Venture Rich today. As a partner with Accessibe.com, we have the tools to quickly and effectively turn your site from a beacon to civil suit-hungry lawyers to a safe haven for all users, even those with disabilities. Our pricing is reasonable and we guarantee your ADA compliance!
What are you waiting for? Fill out this simple form today and we’ll reach out quickly about making your site ADA compliant!